The latest Adobe Mobile Survey has underlined the ever increasing importance of mobile in today’s commercial world.

Mobile is becoming increasingly dominant in the way consumers and businesses interact, and mobile users are becoming increasingly demanding in terms of mobile experience they expect to receive.

For businesses that are willing to embrace this sea change there are huge opportunities; however taking advantage of them is only possible if businesses are able to understand the ways in which customers utilise mobile channels and are willing to incorporate this knowledge into their global marketing model.

The survey involved 3,075 mobile users across the US, Canada, France, Germany and the UK. The primary aims were to establish the mobile devices that they use, how they use them, and what they expect from their mobile experiences, in particular those involving media and entertainment, shopping, travel, and financial services.

Key Findings

Here are some of the more salient findings:

  • Favorite device – where users have both a tablet and a smartphone, 77% of them consider the smartphone to be their primary device; however tablets are gaining ground, 23% in 2013 compared to 12% in 2012.
  • Most popular phone – Android smartphones are significantly the most popular. In Europe 55% of users prefer Android phones while only 23% prefer iPhones
  • Most popular tablet – iPads and the Kindle Fire came out on top with preferences depending on the age group.
  • Tablets are used mainly at home; 80% of tablet owners use their device mainly at home leading to increased numbers of online purchases made via tablet.
  • Tablet usage time is from 1 to 4 hours a day for 26% of consumers and 7% use them for over 5 hours per day.
  • Mobile Social Networking – Facebook remains the most dominant at 85% followed by Twitter (35%) and Google+ (21%).
  • Mobile adds work – over the last three months 31% of users had clicked on an ad and 25 % on an app based ad.
  • So do QR codes – up to 40% of users scan them.
  • Mobile wallets and AR are proving to be slow to take off; so far there has been only a 19% uptake.
  • Satisfaction quotient is just 60% (see below).

Mind the Dissatisfaction Gap

Today only 60% of mobile consumers report being satisfied with their mobile experience, which leaves a huge dissatisfaction gap of 40%.

It is clear that when consumers feel positive about their mobile experience it is far easier to encourage customer loyalty and conversion rate. This is a major business opportunity that many businesses are failing to grasp. Plugging that gap means more conversions.

Mobile is more than a mobile desktop

To think of mobile as simply desktop communications on the move is an error. Many mobile users use a variety of different devices with different form factors and change frequently from one to another.

As tablet users view 70% more pages per visit than smartphone users optimizing for tablet usage as well as making responsive websites will maximize engagement.

What do consumers really want?

It is clear that consumers are unwilling to compromise. They expect a fast, simple and flawless experience. Consumers who use different devices also demand a consistent experience that is independent of the device they are using. Some key priorities that emerge from this are:

  • Developers should restrict the number of touch events needed for conversion to three or two.
  • Mobile interactions should be the design focus; design for the smallest screen first.
  • Speed is king – just a one second delay reduces conversion by 7%.
  • Optimise for search – mobile customers are more likely to use search and expect it to work flawlessly.

The Bottom Line

Knowing that always connected consumers use multiple devices and consequently are more likely to purchase via their mobile, along with the fact that early technology adopters are likely to spend more than late adopters, are clear indicators that businesses should focus on optimizing user experience within these crucial consumer groups. Doing so will lead to increased sales and will build customer loyalty.

Lea Pachta

Lea Pachta

Contributor